A local clergyman, the Reverend Samuel Wathen Wigg, is credited with starting the Saints in 1880. He was curate of St James Church, hence the nickname: Saints.
Bought by local businessman, Keith Barwell, when Rugby Union went professional in 1995, the Saints reached the top of their game in 2000, reaching the Tetley’s Cup Final and winning the European Cup Final at Twickenham.
The Saints homes at Franklin’s Gardens was formerly a pleasure gardens and small zoo owned by hotelier, John Franklin. One of the finest rugby grounds in the country boasting a capacity of around 12,000, there is always a great atmosphere when the premiership side are playing at home.